Lotte Mart had clams, I had lemongrass my mom sent me. It’s time to try my hand at my favorite clam soup.
I adapted my own version of this recipe.
- as much clam as you can handle, but probably one pound
- a teaspoon of mashed ginger
- one shallot (chopped)
- a teaspoon of chopped garlic
- cooking oil
- lemongrass (it’s better to use a whole stalk, and pound the white part, but I only had chopped lemongrass my mom sent me)
- fish sauce
- a dash of sugar
- a dash of salt
- A LOT of pepper
- one Thai chili (I didn’t have this, so I used chili pepper flakes)
- 3 cups of water
- Saute ginger, onion, and garlic in oil
- Toss in clams
- Pour water in
- Add lemongrass, fish sauce, salt and sugar to taste
- Put in a generous portion of pepper (the pepper gives it a good kick, so judge how much you can handle)
- Cover with a lid and let it simmer for five minutes
I’ll be honest. I’m awfully terrible at cooking – especially the first time I try a recipe. This time, however, I loved it! I can probably tweak the flavoring a bit more next time, but I’m pretty proud of the end result.