After trekking across town to the archery range and finding it closed, I left unfulfilled and with a sunken spirit. But in true Kim fashion, heavy-heartedness does not last long. I was suddenly inspired to bake, and molten lava cake had been on my mind all week.
I found a fairly easy recipe online and picked up some Haagen-Dazs pistachio ice cream and strawberries for garnish. It took about 20 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to bake. Voila! Endorphin levels restored to an all-time high.
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 stick) butter
- 8 oz (1 cup) chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli’s semi-sweet)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425º F
- Spray 6 ramekin cups
- In a medium microwavable bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter in the microwave for 60 seconds and then in 30 second increments until smooth (about 1.5-2 minutes total).
- Add flour and sugar to chocolate/butter sauce.
- Stir in the eggs and yolks until smooth.
- Add vanilla and mix everything until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the each cups.
- Place cups on top of a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. The edges should be firm but the center will be runny.
- Run a knife around the edges to loosen and invert onto dessert plates or you can serve each molten lava cake still in the cup.